Sunday, May 25, 2008

Naked-ness and No Turning Back

It has been an exhilerating past week beginning with the opening of my photo exhibition and followed by a soul-full weekend in Portland where I gave a talk to 60 people who have witnessed my journey over the past 15 or so years.

Over this period they have watched me travel to Taiwan, marry, have a baby in a bathtub, divorce, move in and out of the Marine Corps and go to war. But these are merely the events that I participated.

On Sunday I opened my heart and took off all the layers and shared the underlying journey about the reasons why I made the choices I made and the repercussions that followed. It felt as if I stripped off all the layers of my clothing and stood there naked trembling but with no apologies. I shared with them a story of a women who traveled through abuse, war, and addictions and still never arrived at the mountain top but instead continues to walk, dance and run barefoot along her path refusing to be devoured by the monsters that haunt her.

Now that I am naked I can't put the layers of clothes back on. Thank you to my SPT family and all my friends who witnessed this unfolding over the past few months and were so present and supportive.

I went to a gallery opening last Friday here in Santa Fe and walked out filled with a swirling sense of possibilities. There was something about the spirit of Robert Stivers' photographs that reminded me of a vision from long ago - perhaps from before this life.

I came home and worked on some old images I took last fall. Just wanted to share.

No comments: